Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goodbye Green Room

When I was 15, my mom told me that I got to choose what color I wanted to paint my room and that I would have to paint it. She had just bought this house about 6 months prior and all the rooms were the color of sand. It took me about a month to figure out what I wanted to do; I wanted something unique and matched my personality. My cousin nicknamed me flamingo when I was younger because I had really long legs and every time he saw me, I was extremely sun burnt.  After I acquired this name, I became OBSESSED with flamingos.  I collected anything flamingo; I had flamingo wall plaques, flamingo Christmas tree lights, flamingo bulletin board boarders, flamingo plant holders, flamingo jewelry, flamingo EVERYTHING. Getting back to painting, I decided since I had so much flamingo stuff that hot pink would probably be tacky so I decided to go with green.  None of my friends had a green room and I picked this apple green color that made my mom want to take back that I was allowed to pick out the color. Once I finally got the paint and got to painting, my mom really regretted  that she allowed me to do this by myself. I decided to make the room look like tall grass. Since the sandy yellow color was underneath, I made some strokes soft so that it was a lime green and some of them I doubled to make darker green (I did the whole room with a tiny foam brush).
This is what it turned out to look like
My mom wanted me to redo it and make it look normal but I told her no, it was my room.  Then my grandmother came and visited... she HATED it and tried to convince my mom to let her repaint it a different color while I was away. Thank you mom for not listening to her, I would have been so heart broken. I became attached to this stupid wall color and the way I painted it and I'm not exactly sure why. When I moved to college, my mom told me that she was going to repaint it but she never got around to it before I moved back in and reclaimed my territory. Then when I moved into my appartment she took everything off the walls and was serious about painting it but I moved back in just in time to save it once more.  Now it is finally time to change the paint. My brother-in-law is in there priming it as I type. 


I decided that I would pass this room on to my baby while we are here.  It is going to get painted Glidden Pink Ballet Slipper this weekend and I can't stand that I won't be able to help paint it.

I chose the color because it is a soft pink and the theme that I'm doing for the nursery is Rainbow Fish. Someone blessed me with the whole bedroom set for rainbow fish. I have two wall plaques, three pictures, a lamp, the whole bed set, curtains, and a diaper hanger.  The set is purple, blue and green with pastel colors so I thought the light pink would bring the pink out in the set.
After it is painted this week, I can finally set the room up and move in all of the furniture!! And it will all be ready for my first baby shower next saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment